I’ve been having so many conversations with people I’m coaching about the struggle to manage their businesses well, and even the struggle to get started. The key is in how you’re thinking, and i can’t emphasize this enough. We have to shift our mindset.
There are a number of mindset shifts that every freelance creative needs to make.
- You’re a business owner, not an artist.
- The Value of the work is not in the work itself but in the results of the work. Understand your value is related to the results you achieve for your clients. Don’t sell your services. Don’ sell your art. Sell what those things accomplish.
- You’re in a service profession. You’re building business by serving your clients. You’re providing solutions, not pretty artwork.
- Be a proactive planner. Planning and subsequent execution is crucial for long-term success.
- Embrace failure. Failure lets you know what’s not working. Failure is your friend.
- If you’re a freelancer you’re an independent contractor. If you’re an independent contractor you need to operate as a business with policies, systems, reporting and accountability.
- Think long-term. It’s a long-haul journey. Be future-focused.